Tesla may be the poster child of electric vehicles but it’s no longer the only green automobile around. Climate change, increased pollution, consumer concerns, and new regulations have spurred a collective demand to shift to electric vehicles. 1
Companies of all sizes are following suit to meet these requests and requirements.
For instance, Amazon recently ordered 100,000 electric vehicle delivery vans. FedEx asserted they would switch all their electric fleet vehicles to be battery-operated. The USPS claimed that 10% of their new delivery vehicles would be EVs 2. And this is just the start of the wave of change we’ll see in the coming years as companies move towards employing green fleets.
As more businesses transition to EV fleets, managing them accurately and efficiently has become increasingly crucial. EV fleet management, as it’s known, also comes with a bevy of environmental benefits. But what is EV fleet management and how does it add to electric vehicles’ impact on the planet?
Let’s dive in.
What is EV Fleet Management?
Whether it’s a small business with five electric vehicles or a global delivery service with thousands of EV delivery vans, fleets require oversight to ensure the timely completion of jobs and assignments, increase performance and productivity, and remain within budget.
To this end, both private and public companies utilize EV management software to track data such as the purchase, deployment, and operation of their EVs 3.
Fleet management also refers to supervising two of the largest requirements of electric vehicles 4:
- Charging – Public charging stations for electric vehicles aren’t nearly as prevalent as gas stations. An EV fleet management operator or software assesses EV charging stations on the driver’s route and guarantees that it can appropriately charge the fleet vehicle(s) being used (and without waiting in a long queue). They also determine the distance an EV can travel before its charge needs to be replenished and establish the battery state and capacity prior to departures.
- Maintenance – EVs may not have the same degree of upkeep a traditional vehicle requires–such as oil changes and transmission flushes–but they still require maintenance to operate without a hitch. EV fleet management helps to stay on top of these tasks.
Why Is EV Fleet Management Important?
EV fleet management is vital when it comes to operations such as deliveries–especially with the heightened demand for fast and/or overnight deliveries.
Indeed, data reports that drivers transport 70% of the products that are moved throughout the United States 5. Venues ranging from restaurants to construction sites require supplies—in turn, electric vehicle fleets need to be functioning properly, on time, and within budget.
In addition, EV fleet management is critical for the following:
- Adhering to government regulations
- Confirming pick-up and delivery times
- Analyzing driver performance
- Driver safety and support
If you’re looking into fleet electrification planning, you’ll want to consider all the factors above.
Environmental Benefits of EV Fleet Management
One of the biggest incentives for shifting to an electric vehicle fleet is the opportunity to reduce environmental damage compared to traditional, fuel-dependent internal combustion engines (ICEs), namely through zero carbon emissions 6.
EV fleet management helps companies maximize this with the following:
- Route optimization – Fleet management software that offers real-time data allows EV fleet operators and drivers to pinpoint the best routes and schedules to spend less time on the road, redirect drivers when necessary, and make multiple stops to maximize electric fleet efficiency 7. Causing less traffic can help reduce carbon emissions from ICE vehicles, which use a great deal of energy when braking at traffic lights 8. Learn more about the difference between ICE vs EV vehicles.
- Optimal EV charging strategies – EV fleet management enables drivers to charge their EVs during off-peak hours to diminish their drain on power grids.
- Reduced waste – EV fleets are frequently used to deliver perishable goods. By measuring temperatures, as well as route and EV charging times, EV fleet management can contribute to decreasing food waste (an enormous problem in the U.S.) that accounts for 30-40% of the food supply 9.
- Increased energy security – EVs (with the exception of hybrid models) are powered by electricity and can be done through renewable sources like wind and solar. This lends a hand in heightening energy security in the U.S., where the transportation division utilizes roughly 30% of the country’s energy needs 10.
- Mitigates the negative environmental impact of supply chains – With an EV fleet management’s capacity to optimize routes for utmost fleet efficiency, they can also contribute to reducing the environmental harms caused by the supply chain 11.
Overall, when it comes to the benefits of fleet management, electric vehicles offer efficiency for not only your business but the environment that surrounds it.
Boost Your Bottom Line with AtoB
“Fuel cards” tend to be associated strictly with fuel: gasoline and diesel. But AtoB is one of several companies that enables drivers to use fuel cards to fund their charging needs. If you’re wondering how to get a prepaid gas card, look no further than AtoB.
Drivers do not need to look for a specific public charging station, as AtoB is accepted everywhere. Plus, it allows a business’s EV fleet managers to stay informed of their drivers’ charging costs.
The environmental benefits of electrifying your fleet are legion. Streamline the transition, amplify your EV fleet management, and save on operating costs with all that AtoB has to offer. We’re here to bring your fuel card management system to the next level.
CA.gov. Governor newsom announces california will phase out gasoline-powered cars & drastically reduce demand for fossil fuel in california’s fight against climate change.
NPR. From amazon to fedex: the delivery truck is going electric.
Forbes. What is fleet management? Everything you need to know.
US Transport. The impotence of the trucking industry.
U.S. Department of Energy. Alternative fuels data center: electric vehicle benefits and considerations.
The Environmental Magazine. The environmental benefits of fleet management.
The New York Times. Amazon wants 100,000 electric vans. Can rivian deliver?
FDA. Food loss and waste.
Watt Logic. What is ev fleet management?
Forbes. Fleet management 2022: top challenges and opportunities.
1 CA.gov. Governor Newsom announces California will phase out gasoline-powered cars & drastically reduce demand for fossil fuel in california’s fight against climate change.
2 NPR. From amazon to fedex: the delivery truck is going electric.
3 Forbes. What is fleet management? Everything you need to know.
4 Watt Logic. What is ev fleet management?
5 US Transport. The importance of the trucking industry.
6 U.S. Department of Energy. Alternative fuels data center: electric vehicle benefits and considerations.
7 The Environmental Magazine. The environmental benefits of fleet management.
8 The New York Times. Amazon wants 100,000 electric vans. Can rivian deliver?
9 Samsara. Sustainability.
10 U.S. Department of Energy. Alternative fuels data center: electric vehicle benefits and considerations.
11 Forbes. Fleet management 2022: top challenges and opportunities.