Top 3 Benefits of Fleet Telematics
You don’t need us to tell you that as a fleet manager, you’re responsible for more than the satisfaction of your customers.
Your fleet relies on you to keep costs low, vehicles running, and drivers—and, ultimately, everyone on the road—safe.
To achieve this, you'll need fleet management software. In turn, you can rely on telematics, also known as fleet tracking, to give you the detailed, comprehensive information you can act on to achieve those goals. If this is your first time hearing the term, you might wonder, “What is telematics?” It’s an emerging fleet tracking technology using GPS.
How does fleet tracking work? In the case of telematics, each fleet vehicle is attached with a GPS tracking telematics device, which not only tracks the vehicle but also crucial data to a centralized server. So it’s not a bad idea to have a telematics system. Read on for the top three benefits of telematics so you can bring your fleet management to the next level.
#1. Increase Fuel Efficiency
Here’s another thing you don’t need us to tell you: gas prices are at an all-time high. That means it’s more important than ever to keep a close watch on your fuel economy.
Thankfully, one of the top benefits of telematics is that it gives you the tools to increase your fuel economy. Here’s how:
- Analyzing driver behavior like pedal pressure, acceleration and braking habits, and idle time. By connecting these statistics to fuel-usage statistics, telematics will provide a picture of your most efficient drivers’ behaviors. From there, you can educate drivers on the best practices to increase fuel efficiency.
- Mapping the shortest routes for your drivers. Less time spent on the road means less fuel used. Using telematics to determine the most efficient routes for your drivers is a straightforward way to increase your fleet’s fuel economy.
- Detecting the most fuel-efficient vehicles in your fleet. Telematics can help you determine which makes and models have the best fuel economy. That way, you can continue to invest in them and retire the less efficient vehicles.
- Making repairs to increase fuel efficiency. Before you retire your less efficient vehicles, use telematics to check for simple repairs that will give these vehicles better fuel economy. Extending the life of every vehicle in your fleet is a vital component of cost-efficiency and responsible fleet management.
Your fleet will thank you for reducing fuel costs with a telematics solution. So will the ecosystem; a more fuel-efficient fleet is a greener fleet!
#2. Decrease Downtime
Another of the major fleet tracking benefits is decreased downtime.
You’re probably no stranger to a scenario like this one: a trusty vehicle in your fleet suddenly has a problem. The driver is on the road, away from the home mechanic. Now they’re stuck in an unfamiliar town while an unfamiliar mechanic orders the necessary parts, which could take up to a week to arrive.
Downtime or dwell time for repairs can result in crippling costs for your fleet. Every day a vehicle is out of commission can cost around $700. That doesn’t even account for the customer dissatisfaction that results from delays.
But with fleet telematics devices, you can eliminate a majority of your downtime issues by:
- Detecting and addressing potential problems before the vehicle goes on the road.
- Determining how long the vehicle can safely run before the problem has to be solved.
- Finding the closest mechanic with the part in stock.
- Acting quickly to dispatch help and solve problems when unexpected emergencies or accidents occur.
Decreasing your downtime not only saves your entire fleet business money. By using vehicle telematics systems to ensure that your vehicles are up to operational standards, you can be confident that they’re safe for your drivers and everyone else on the road.
#3. Ensure Driver Safety
The rules of the road are in place to protect every driver, passenger, and pedestrian. Another of the biggest benefits of fleet tracking is analyzing your drivers’ behaviors to make sure they are following these rules.
Telematics makes it easy to track driver behavior, like:
- Phone use
- Braking and acceleration habits
- Safe turning
- Adherence to the speed limit
With a complete picture of your drivers’ behaviors, you’re equipped to reward the safest drivers. You can incentivize safe driving with:
- Financial bonuses
- Additional benefits
- Acclaim and prestige
Use the information you receive from fleet telematics devices to model safe driving habits. Share the model with drivers who can improve their fleet safety. Let them know that safe driving is rewarded in your fleet, and use telematics to give them the tools to become the safest fleet drivers on the road.
How Your AtoB Fuel Card and Telematics Work Together
Each benefit of telematics creates a ripple throughout your entire fleet, of efficiency, safety, and cost-effectiveness. With the ability to see a complete and detailed picture of your operation, you have the tools to make that picture exactly what you want it to be.
And with your AtoB fuel card, you can bring that picture to life.
At AtoB, we’re proud to empower fleet managers and drivers. Our fuel card facilitates fuel efficiency, cost-effectiveness, and regular maintenance, so you can be sure your vehicles are at their best at all times. Plus, it protects your fleet from card misuse.
Leverage fleet telematics solution and your AtoB fuel cards to get the most out of your fleet. Your drivers and your customers alike will thank you.
TT News. How Fleets Are Using Technology to Control Fuel Consumption.
Fleet Maintenance. The future of telematics is now.